Hello ladies and gerbils, thank you for taking time out of your day to help us! The founders of the clan would like to request input from all members of the clan, and we need this information quickly (within the next week, preferably) so we can move forward with purchasing the Battlefield 4 server!
First, here are two emails I received from our current game server provider, Habitat4Gamers:
- Hello Duane,It looks like $0.97/slot is the correct price! If the price goes up before release date, we’ll honor the .97 for at least 3 months. I don’t expect it to rise… but you know how PreOrder stuff can be :)We’ve put up a blurb about it here: http://Rentals.Habitat4.com/
- Duane, one further note about slot counts. Appears EA is forcing people to pay for slots for Spectators & Commanders if you choose to use them.
The problems that we are currently faced with are location and slots.
We had discussed the amount of slots we wanted, and I believe we all agreed on a 64 player server for at least the first month, and possibly longer depending on our rankings at the end of the month. The issue we are now facing, is that EA is forcing us to pay for the commander and spectator slots. If we want to completely max out our server, we are looking at having to purchase 70 slots! The other problem is that if we stick with Habitat4Gamers, we might be stuck in a single location. I’ve emailed Habitat4Gamers and asked about the location system that they’re going to use with BF4 and should hear something back soon about that, and will let you guys know either way.
That being said, if Habitat4Gamers is able to accommodate us, and we are looking to completely max out our slots at 70, we are looking at the following cost:
$.97 X (66 Slots) = $64.02
Note that in the table I created below with the game server providers and prices, I’ve changed the slot count to 66 to accommodate 64 player slots plus 2 commander slots for all servers listed, so these are the prices we would pay if we did not want any Spectator slots.
If Habitat4Gamers is not able to accommodate our location request and we want to go somewhere else, we’re looking at the following prices from various GSP’s (Game Server Providers, per EA/DICE terminology):
NFO Servers 66 Slot:
- $79.19 (Higher CPU Priority option is another $9.99 on top of that)
FragNet (British Provider, server is in Seattle):
- $74.05 (No CPU priority options, VAT Fee is included in the price)
- $75.70 (!!! No Seattle location – only CA, TX, and VA!!!)
- $85.75 (I like these guys – good experiences in the past)
- $75.90 (Something doesn’t seem “right” with these guys…)
- $77.88 (CPU Priority feature is $10)
- $250.00 (cost of renting an entire dedicated server – though we could make some back off of that, and could even make enough to pay for our server!)
On top of the cost of the server, we are going to have to pay for ProCon hosting as well. We are currently allowing Branzone to host our ProCon layer at something like $2 or $3 a month, so that has to be added into the final cost above.
Here’s a few sites that you can go to check your ping to various locations around the country:
You can also open up a command prompt in Windows and run this command (TrinityGames Test Site in Seattle):
- PING 18.104.22.168
You will be looking for the bottom line once it finishes. Your latency will be the “Average = ##ms”, where ## is the ping you get to that server.
For me, I am getting the following from my work (which is about 4 miles from my home, and a completely different ISP, but I can’t get my home router to work correctly.):
- Atlanta: 24
- Chicago: 26
- Dallas: 6
- Denver: 24
- Frankfurt: 126
- LA: 41
- NYC: 43
- San Jose: 49
- Seattle: 57
- Seattle (Premium): 59
And for Trinity Games IP, I am getting between 50 and 70ms
What I would like from each of you:
- The number of slots you think we should pay for
- My recommendation is a 66 slot server, 64 players and 2 commanders
- I know we agreed upon 64 slots, but that was before we knew we needed to pay for the commander and spectator slots.
- Commander takes up 2 slots
- Spectator can take up to 4 slots
- We do not need either of these, and they could be turned off using ProCon
- Personally, I couldn’t imagine NOT having commander options. Spectator though… I don’t know
- A provider from the list above, so I can get the process started if Habitat4Gamers (H4G) is unable to accommodate our location request
- My favorites from the list are:
- NFO (Nuclear Fall Out – We already get our BF3 server through them anyways, so why not?)
- Trinity Games
- My favorites from the list are:
- Keep in mind that H4G may be able to let us use a Seattle server – it just depends on what I hear back from them
- Lastly, should we pay the extra $10 to get CPU Priority
- In my opinion, this is pretty much a waste especially if the server provider is setup per EA/DICE’s recommendations
- They’re not supposed to be over-taxing the servers anyways, so CPU priority doesn’t really “do” anything
Thank you for everything you guys have stuck through the past year(s), and get excited because BF4 is TWO WEEKS AWAY!!!!!!!
See you on the battlefield, SOLDIER!